10.23.2006

Ultrasounds

We had another ultrasound today. I thought I would explain our last ultrasounds first to give you a little background on today's results.

Our first ultrasound was on 5/24/06 at 6.5 weeks when I was experiencing some cramping. Everything looked great at that point and I could see the heartbeat for the first time. The cramping eventually subsided in the next couple of weeks.

On 7/6/06 we had an optional genetic testing ultrasound to check for downs syndrome, etc. Basically I wanted to do this test to see if we were at risk but mainly to see the baby! At this appointment they were able to tell that our baby was indeed a boy. This was pretty amazing because I was only 12.5 weeks and the baby had to be in the perfect position to be able to tell the sex accurately.

On 8/21/06 we had our midway (19 week) anatomy check ultrasound. This is the ultrasound were they check all the baby's body parts and usually can confirm the sex. They noticed at that time that Brendan had fluid backed up in his kidneys. They said that it didn't look too bad and they would keep checking it throughout the pregnancy. They reassured us it was pretty common in boys to have this problem and that it would most likely clear up after he was born.

On 9/18/06 we had another ultrasound to check on the kidneys again. They felt that it would be good for us to see a specialist to keep a closer eye on the problem.

On 9/22/06 we went to the maternal fetal specialist to measure the kidney fluid. They basically said the kidneys were having problems but it did not look like the baby was in any danger. The doctor also noticed that his belly was measuring a bit large for his age and that it might indicate that I had gestational diabetes (which would be checked at my next doctors appointment). They advised us to keep watching the kidneys closely to make sure they weren't getting any worse. The doctor talked about possibly inducing me if they got worse and were not functioning. I guess we will cross that bridge if we get there.

Today we had our next follow-up ultrasound appointment. We will now have an ultrasound every four weeks until he is born (our due date is Jan. 15, 2007). Today the fluid measured about the same. So far we are not worried because it doesn't look like he is having any problems. His amniotic fluid level is perfect and his size measurements are now right on. Last week I also had my glucose test that checks for gestational diabetes and the results came back normal. I'm glad that I won't have to worry about that now as well. We will keep you posted on the next doctor and ultrasound appointments. Hope we didn't make any of you too worried. We will just keeping praying that Brendan will go full-term and his little kidney issue will clear up. The below profile picture was taken today. He is now 2.7 pounds and very cute!

5 comments:

MC said...

Sorry Grandma can't see any baby in this picture!!But I know he is cute - He is a CANO!

Mrs. D said...

I can see a very cute profile and a little bit of hand!

Anonymous said...

awww that's my nephew yes he does look cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nate and Kristin, Thank you for including us on your blog site. Congrats, we are very excited for you. Being a new grandma myself I can tell you it is definitely very exciting. Cade is 7 months and really a joy to all of us. Can't wait to see the new baby Cano. See you at the shower. Rosie

Erica said...

Hi Nate & Kristin,

Congratulations! Rosie passed along your website and we just wanted to wish you both the very best. Treasure every moment, they grow up so fast...

~Bryce, Erica & Cade Gehlen